If you’ve recently been thinking to yourself: “I do hate having to open my big garage door every time I want to get my hammer out… What if I could install a smaller access door to make my life easier?” You’re in the right place.
This article will analyze the pros and cons of having a pedestrian walk-through door installed in your garage door.
These types of doors are typically seen in garages located in the basement of a house, where there isn’t enough room for a regular access door, and on commercial and industrial garage doors, where they are much more practical and energy efficient than opening the large garage door.
Pedestrian doors come in a range of sizes, most often than not they are 81 x 198 cm. We suggest installing them on garage doors insulated with polyurethane, as this ensures that the garage door system is solid. Doors should be between 4.5 and 5.1 cm thick.
So, what are the pros and cons?
- If your garage is located in the basement of your home and installing a regular access door is impossible, pedestrian walk-through doors are very practical.
- If you live in an urban area with a high construction density and you do not have room to install a regular access door on the side of your garage, pedestrian walk-through doors are very practical.
- If there is a prolonged power outage, you will still be able to access your garage via the pedestrian walk-through door.
- Increased energy efficiency on industrial and commercial garage doors.
- Expense. Installing a pedestrian walk-through door and safety system is expensive, sometimes just as expensive as installing a full garage door system. The investment may not be worthwhile.
- More expense. You must also install a device on your electric garage door opener system to ensure that the remote does not activate the opener if the pedestrian walk‑through door is not properly closed.
- Your garage door must be at least 2.4‑metres-wide to be compatible with a pedestrian walk-through door.
- Reduced energy efficiency on regular garage doors.
If you think it’s the right choice for you…
You can also visit our showroom where our staff will be happy to show you our range and help you make the right choice.